With four vacancies for every job hunter reported in February 2014, Cambridge displaced Aberdeen from the top spot as the best city to work in, research from multipurpose search website Adzuna shows.
According to the report, Cambridge – a hub for high-tech businesses – came first in the survey for a third consecutive month. Guildford climbed to second place with 0.28 candidates per vacancy, replacing the Scottish town of Aberdeen with 0.34 which ranked third. At the bottom of the chart came Wirral with 27.38 jobseekers per vacancy. These figures come as part of a nationwide increase in vacancies in February; around 800,000 jobs were available, matching the figures from November 2013.
Despite Cambridge’s population being sheltered from the economic downturn – as most jobs are connected to the university – the East of England has experienced reductions in wages, with average salaries dropping by 7.9% since last year. The figures also show that other regions – namely London and the West Midlands – have also suffered pay rate declines, with 5.6% and 5.0% respectively.
Research by the Centre for Cities think tank reveals that although cities such as Cambridge and Aberdeen are prospering, the economic gap between the South and the North has been widening. Going further, the research pinpointed that London still accounts for 80% of private sector growth in the UK and continues to “suck” talent from the rest of Britain. According to the findings, for every public sector job created in the capital, two are lost in the rest of the country. Between 2010 and 2012 over 210,000 private sector jobs and 66,300 public sector jobs were created in London, while Glasgow, for example, lost 7,800 and 6,800 respectively.
- Business Travel: Are you wasting time by checking luggage? - 18th August 2015
- MeetingRooms.com Welcomes Bruntwood’s UK Red Rooms Portfolio - 25th June 2015
- Meeting Rooms That Make Time Fly! - 2nd April 2015
- Clare’s Corner: History ‘Leeds’ us to New Business Opportunities - 27th March 2015
- 7 ways to have a spectacular breakfast in the dark this Friday! - 18th March 2015
- What brain foods make you more productive? - 14th January 2015
- 6 great apps for remote workers - 10th December 2014
- meetingrooms.com Appoints Matt Makan As Corporate Sales Manager - 5th December 2014
- meetingrooms.com Appoints David Quinlan as Chief Technology Officer - 5th December 2014
- meetingrooms.com appoints Lisa Rose as North American Account Manager - 2nd December 2014