Whether you use PowerPoint or Keynote to make a presentation for a new client, your boss or your university professor, it is very important to leave a good impression. Here are few fresh and effective techniques from Apple’s 2013 World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC).
Steal Their Attention
Use a joke, a funny story or some kind of a trick to grab the attention of your audience. At the 2012 WWDC the audience expected Apple CEO Tim Cook to open the keynote – instead Siri, the iPhone personal assistant, did. Presentations give you the chance to be creative, but remember to keep to the 10-minute rule. University of Washington researcher John Medina notes that no matter how engaging a speaker you are, the audience will most likely lose interest after 10 minutes.
One Theme Per Slide, Please
To ensure your presentation is understandable, don’t insert too much information on one slide. If, for example, a number of statistics are important and you want your audience to remember them, place them on different slides.
Avoid Bullet Points
Bullet points serve little purpose and distract your audience; they are ineffective, clutter the screen and force the audience to acknowledge too many points all whilst trying to listen to the speaker.
Make Data Visual – Put Numbers In Context
Few people are good with numbers. If you want your audience to remember that you sold 30 billion applications last year, make it more visual. Put the number 30,000,000,000 on a slide, put it into context and make it visual with humour and images.
John Medina says the brain does not remember boring things. In 2012 Apple introduced its new computer covered with a black curtain and said: “This is the most beautiful computer we’ve ever made” – make a statement people will remember.
Edited and produced by Anna Duggal – Content Manager
I am the newest addition to the SOS Marketing team as a Content Manager. With an English degree and a love for writing and all things social, I like communicating them out in a slightly ‘out of the box’ way. Outside of work, I like weekends away exploring the UK, cute animal pictures and getting involved in as much philanthropy as I can possibly fit into my spare time! You can find me at Google+
- Servcorp Partners With MeetingRooms.com To Launch Online Booking Tool For Virgin Australia’s Velocity Members - 27th August 2015
- Park Plaza Westminster Partners With MeetingRooms.com To Sell Small Meetings Online - 30th July 2015
- MeetingRooms.com CEO Speaks at Hubcreate Launch Event - 4th June 2015
- MeetingRooms.com Launches Booking Tool For Personal and Executive Assistants in Partnership with Award-Winning Title, PA Life - 1st June 2015
- Science proves meetings are excellent for business - 11th May 2015
- Our 1000th meeting room venue is…London’s CCT Venues! - 5th May 2015
- Meetingrooms.com CEO Speaks at the The FMP Event - 30th April 2015
- MeetingRooms.com CEO appointed to the HBAA Technology committee - 29th April 2015
- London’s Untold Stories - 28th April 2015
- Meetingrooms.com at the EXECSec Summit - 27th April 2015