The government should assist small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in adopting broadband, a new report suggests. The research, conducted by the Broadband Stakeholder Group (BSG) indicates that SMEs could enjoy annual economic benefits of up to £18.8 billion by becoming more digitally savvy.
According to Pamela Learmonth, CEO of BSG, small businesses simply do not have the time to research the latest solutions and are cautious about investing in products they don’t understand or may prove a waste of time and effort. BSG is turning to the government to aid SMEs in embracing faster broadband and technology, with the firm conviction that companies will only benefit from it.
BSG has come up with five recommendations on how to make that possible:
1. The government should expand on its Small Business Survey by adding more questions on SME online activity. This will give more information on the adoption of broadband by SMEs.
2. A new online platform should be set up featuring cases of other SMEs which have enhanced their businesses with technology.
3. The technology industry and the government should combine efforts to better understand how new solutions and applications can help SMEs.
4. The Department for Culture, Media and Sport should strengthen central resources within Broadband Delivery UK to help local authorities with activities stimulating demand.
5. The government should encourage SMEs to increase their online activity by engaging with them via government services.
The message from the BSG is that SMEs should take advantage of the opportunities modern technology affords. The government should encourage small companies to do more online and hence improve their businesses.
- Business Travel: Are you wasting time by checking luggage? - 18th August 2015
- MeetingRooms.com Welcomes Bruntwood’s UK Red Rooms Portfolio - 25th June 2015
- Meeting Rooms That Make Time Fly! - 2nd April 2015
- Clare’s Corner: History ‘Leeds’ us to New Business Opportunities - 27th March 2015
- 7 ways to have a spectacular breakfast in the dark this Friday! - 18th March 2015
- What brain foods make you more productive? - 14th January 2015
- 6 great apps for remote workers - 10th December 2014
- meetingrooms.com Appoints Matt Makan As Corporate Sales Manager - 5th December 2014
- meetingrooms.com Appoints David Quinlan as Chief Technology Officer - 5th December 2014
- meetingrooms.com appoints Lisa Rose as North American Account Manager - 2nd December 2014