With the increasing number of start-ups and people who prefer to work from home, it is no surprise that the value of virtual offices keeps growing. Protecting your home address, or using receptionist call answering services are among some of the advantages they offer.
But what are the mechanisms behind running a virtual office? It is wise to take a look at the processes managing a virtual office entails, in order to better understand the way they work, editor of Officing Today, Jo Disney, advises.
Here are a few areas to acknowledge:
Video calls can help you retain face-to-face communication. Tools such as Skype and Google Hangouts are at your disposal to do so, as are smartphones, emails and instant messaging platforms.
Conference calls are essential for remote workers. Online meeting services allow calls via phones or online, plus the additional benefits of sharing files and seeing other people’s screens.
Trying to project manage via email does not always work. Tools like Asana and Basecamp are a great way to keep workers organised and keep projects in one place.
Clarity and Trust
Staying in touch with team members and checking their progress is just as important as trusting and allowing them to work without supervision. Regular conference or video calls and clear targets/deadlines will help everyone stay on track.
Using a file hosting service like Dropbox will enable team members to share and work on files simultaneously. Files can be accessed from any device with Internet connection.
These allow team members to introduce new processes or systems, keeping everyone informed even if the team does not get together often.
Understanding how virtual offices work is key to unlocking their potential, allowing more remote workers to benefit from their advantages.
Edited and produced by Stephen Moore – Marketing Director
Stephen Moore is the Global Marketing Director for Search office Space Group which meetingrooms.com is the newest addition. An active blogger and article writer, Steve has also appeared as a guest on BBC Radio 2 Drivetime, Sky News and France 24 amongst others, talking about business, commercial property and marketing.
- Business Travel: Are you wasting time by checking luggage? - 18th August 2015
- MeetingRooms.com Welcomes Bruntwood’s UK Red Rooms Portfolio - 25th June 2015
- Meeting Rooms That Make Time Fly! - 2nd April 2015
- Clare’s Corner: History ‘Leeds’ us to New Business Opportunities - 27th March 2015
- 7 ways to have a spectacular breakfast in the dark this Friday! - 18th March 2015
- What brain foods make you more productive? - 14th January 2015
- 6 great apps for remote workers - 10th December 2014
- meetingrooms.com Appoints Matt Makan As Corporate Sales Manager - 5th December 2014
- meetingrooms.com Appoints David Quinlan as Chief Technology Officer - 5th December 2014
- meetingrooms.com appoints Lisa Rose as North American Account Manager - 2nd December 2014