Stunning research from the University of Bath reveals that shaking hands before a negotiation results in a better deal for both parties – even when one is represented by a robot.
The study measured 60 mock negotiations with one human physically ‘in the room’ and another speaking through a robot’s camera and microphone. Some meetings started with a handshake, others didn’t. Fascinatingly, the data showed that a ‘virtual’ handshake created a sense of connectedness between both parties meaning that they were more inclined to treat each other fairly and less likely to ‘deliberately mislead’.
For Caleb Parker, CEO of MeetingRooms.com, these findings are further evidence of the power of face to face interaction in business. He comments: “The power of a handshake is something businesses have mythically talked about for years. Now here is stone-cold evidence that this isn’t just a warm fuzzy feeling, it’s a hard reality.”
“As a millennial and a passionate advocate of technology’s ability to reshape business, I love the fact that I can send emails, do research or write presentations on-the-go. However, studies like this show that there are some things – an important sales meeting, a media briefing, a job interview – that simply shouldn’t be conducted over the phone. The ability to achieve ‘connectedness’ relies on the kind of trusted interaction you only get when face to face.”
At MeetingRooms.com we believe in a world where technology doesn’t replace meetings, it actually empowers people to have a meeting, ‘on-demand’, anywhere in the world. Our marketplace brings busy people together with the millions of high-quality meeting spaces that lie dormant close to their location.
- Servcorp Partners With MeetingRooms.com To Launch Online Booking Tool For Virgin Australia’s Velocity Members - 27th August 2015
- Park Plaza Westminster Partners With MeetingRooms.com To Sell Small Meetings Online - 30th July 2015
- MeetingRooms.com CEO Speaks at Hubcreate Launch Event - 4th June 2015
- MeetingRooms.com Launches Booking Tool For Personal and Executive Assistants in Partnership with Award-Winning Title, PA Life - 1st June 2015
- Science proves meetings are excellent for business - 11th May 2015
- Our 1000th meeting room venue is…London’s CCT Venues! - 5th May 2015
- Meetingrooms.com CEO Speaks at the The FMP Event - 30th April 2015
- MeetingRooms.com CEO appointed to the HBAA Technology committee - 29th April 2015
- London’s Untold Stories - 28th April 2015
- Meetingrooms.com at the EXECSec Summit - 27th April 2015